Sunday, September 2, 2012

Imagination is not lost!

I have come to realize that my children are missing out on some really great books! Every year they are given a list of books to read (I'm not saying that they are bad) but, some of the stories seem (to me) in some ways to miss the very core of what makes a book, captivating and scrumptious!  It also occurred to me, (God forgive me for what I'm about to say) that the movies they watch are pretty empty short on story lines, if there is NO Building Falling or Someone or Something Flying in the first 5 minutes they are bored and they begin to bicker over who has who's candy!

I grew up in a time where the action was second and the stories were always first, "Rebecca, The Ghost and Mrs. Muir, It's A Wonderful Life, etc.,"  So, I decided that we will start an in house Book Club of the classics and we will read them together and for fun out loud!  For our first read I picked, "To Kill a Mockingbird!"  Why? I don't know, it's just a good place to start!  I love this story and the movie!  Plus, I think it might engage the kids to imagine and when it's my time to read, I do it with a southern accent! (LOL)

Getting them to sit and think and imagine is essential to their future.  Just read this small passage from the book!



by
Harper Lee

"Maycomb was an old town, but it was a tired old town when I first knew it.  In rainy weather the streets turned to red slop; grass grew on the sidewalks, the courthouse sagged in the square.  Somehow, it was hotter then: a black dog suffered on a summer's day; bony mules hitched to Hoover carts flicked flies in the sweltering shade of the live oaks on the square.  Men's stiff collars wilted by nine in the morning.  Ladies bathed before noon, after their three o'clock naps, and by nightfall were like soft teacakes with frostings of sweat and sweet talcum."

I shared this because it was at this moment when my kids began to imagine!





No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails