Recently my husband was asked to do a home inspection for a new 2 family house that was built a year ago. The bank wanted him to go in, do a walk through, and give them an estimate on how much it would cost to rehab the property! They would like to rent it out as soon as possible! Ohhh, I'm like adding up the coins in my head because this would be a great job and we need it right? Wrong, let me tell you what happened. When my husband opens the door the horrific stench of Stachybotrys or black mold (I envisioned a large blackish green plume of smoke) blew out and quickly he had to grab his respirator in order to breath. Again, this was a brand new house that know one has ever lived in! He said he had never seen anything like it, there was mold everywhere, door hinges, walls, light fixtures. It was alienistic in nature, it had invaded this home like the Blob!!! Now to look at this house it seems livable, here's the 1st floor Kitchen and one of the Bedrooms, nice enough, your thinking just some carpet and paint right?
Noooooo, think Black Nasty A _ _ Mold Everywhere!!! Under the cabinets all over the walls and doors; it's the most scariest thing! I think this mold may even beat out those horrible Georgia animal sized roaches! Look here it is, Black MOLD!
He immediately told the bank who reluctantly asked him to call a mold remediator to see how much it's going to cost to have that mold removed. My husband met this man Larry Foster of Enviro-Cure Services who has been in the mold business for over 25 years, he even wrote a book called "Breathing Dangerously:what your Doctor may not know can kill you". Larry walks in holds his nostrils tight looks around and immediately walks out. He told my husband that the cost for removing this mold would be somewhere around 15,000.00. He said, "There are visible mold colonies on the walls, doors, molding, appliances, etc., If the bank continues to wait the price will increase. Basically, the entire house needs to be gutted, carpets, sheetrock, fixtures, etc.,
We found out that the Government is now starting to acknowledge the problem in our schools and military bases, they are allocating money to have the mold removed because of it's relationship to declining health. Also, they are cracking down on landlords who are ignoring mold in homes they are renting.
I wrote this post because I was shocked and felt the need to make everyone aware of this problem. Mold is the cause of many ailments we suffer and it's important to find it and remove it quickly. I went on a mold hunt this weekend in my basement and needless to say I did a lot of throwing out and cleaning!!! Rest assured if you have had any kind of water damage or leaks mold is surly growing in your home!!!
Does anyone have any experience or thoughts on this subject? Let me know:)